DER's FY20 Culvert Replacement Municipal Assistance Grant RFR Announcement
Notice of Grant Opportunity
Culvert Replacement Municipal Assistance Grant Program
The Division of Ecological Restoration (DER), Massachusetts Department of Fish and Game, is seeking proposals from Massachusetts municipalities interested in replacing an undersized, perched, and/or degraded culvert located in an area of high ecological value. Total funding available in FY20 is anticipated to be $750,000. Additional funding from other sources may be available and further details, including eligible towns and projects, will be included when the Request for Response (RFR) is issued on February 20, 2019. The purpose of this funding is to encourage municipalities to replace culverts with better designed crossings that meet improved structural and environmental design standards and climate resiliency criteria.
Only projects that intend to meet the goals of the Massachusetts Stream Crossing Standards will be considered for funding. Incorporating these Standards into culvert design will improve river function and access for fish and wildlife, and will reduce hazards to public safety, such as flooding, culvert failure, and road washout. Massachusetts municipalities are eligible to apply for funding to support advancement of one culvert replacement project toward completion. Interested communities should view the full announcement, including eligibility and evaluation criteria, found here: https://www.mass.gov/how-to/culvert-replacement-municipal-assistance-grant-program
The PRE-Request For Responses (RFR) period, January 23, 2019 to February 20, 2019, provides a preview of the RFR that DER will issue February 20, 2019. Applicants are strongly encouraged to contact Carrie Banks to discuss possible projects during this period.
The RFR will be released at 3PM on February 20, 2019. The application deadline is 5PM, March 20, 2019.
Applicants are encouraged to attend a Grant Briefing to learn more about this funding opportunity. During Grant Briefings, DER Staff will explain the Culvert Replacement Municipal Assistance Grant Program, answer questions, and be available to meet one-on-one with municipalities to discuss proposed projects. Grant Briefing dates, times, and locations are listed below. Attendees should RSVP to email@example.com or 413-579-3015 in case of inclement weather and the briefings either need to be canceled or postponed. Please check the Division of Ecological Restoration’s website (www.mass.gov/DER) for the most up-to-date information regarding grant briefings.
· January 29, 10:30 AM-12:00 PM, Fitchburg Water Department, 1200 Rindge Road, Fitchburg (The Nashua River Watershed Association will host a general presentation about Flood Resilient, Fish Friendly Culverts beginning at 9:00 am.)
· January 30, 9:00-10:30 AM, Pioneer Valley Planning Commission, 60 Congress Street, Springfield
· February 1, 9:00-10:30 AM, Southeast Regional Planning and Economic Development District at 88 Broadway, Taunton
· February 4, 1:00-2:30 PM, Adams Town Hall, 8 Park Street, Adams
· February 5, 1:00 PM-2:30 PM, Department of Fish & Game, 251 Causeway Street, Boston
· February 7, 9:30-11:00 AM, Division of Marine Fisheries Field Office, 30 Emerson Ave, Gloucester (Park in front of building facing straight towards the building)