AASHTO TC3 Introduction to GIS Mapping: Self-paced Online
This course presents the basics of geographic information systems (GIS), which are used to help leverage location intelligence to manage critical assets and analyze real-time data for operational excellence.
This is an introductory course covering the theory and application of mapping using geographic information systems (GIS). The course includes an overview of the general principles of GIS and practical experience in its use. There are four modules that make up this course. These are:
• Introduction to GIS;
• Data Collection;
• Data Analysis; and
This course offers professional development hours (PDHs). You will see the PDHs on your course completion certificate, which also serves as documentation of your attendance. PDH requirements vary, therefore, it is up to you to determine whether or not this particular course qualifies under your State or board requirements.
This course targets members of the transportation industry, particularly departments of transportation, with limited to early-intermediate knowledge of GIS, that work or plan to work with GIS data and mapping tools in support of transportation-related projects. The target audience for this training includes inspectors, engineers, supervisors, and project managers.
• Define GIS;
• Summarize the progression of GIS technology;
• Describe how the transportation industry leverages GIS;
• Describe the common sources of GIS information;
• List the types of data sources used for GIS;
• Explain considerations related to GIS data;
• Describe how data is analyzed for GIS;
• Explain the role of data layers and topology in GIS;
• List data analysis techniques that are used for GIS;
• List the key cartography techniques and map elements leveraged in GIS;
• Summarize the software available for producing GIS maps; and
• Explain considerations related to map sharing and cartography.
DISCLAIMER: Please check with your local state agencies for any differences in state-specific guidelines/policies.
Road Scholar Credits
Continuing Education Credits (CEUs)
Road Scholar Hours
Select A Session
|1/4/2022 8:00:00 AM||AASHTO TC3 Introduction to GIS Mapping Self-paced Online||Online||View Session|