Class B CDL Program
Date: 5/8/2018 - 5/8/2019 -
This program prepares municipal employees to take and pass the state Commercial Driver’s License Class B written examination and road test. The program will be conducted by the New England Tractor Trailer Training School (NETTTS) at any of its three campuses. There is maximum of 16 participants per location per month.
Module 1 (Ten hours) – Formal classroom training designed to prepare an individual to drive commercial vehicles safely and pass the written CDL-B permit test. Students will learn general knowledge and air brakes systems. Included in this preparation are safety practices such as: observation of following distances, vehicle speed, weather conditions and driving strategies, as well as, preventative maintenance requirements for commercial vehicles.
Module 2 (Thirty hours) – Included in this section are various observation and performing maneuvers the student will need to master to pass the state road test, such as: straight backing, alley docking, parallel sight side and blind side backing maneuvers. The student will continue by observation and practice maneuvering a commercial vehicle on city streets, highways, and rural roads. Additionally, participants will perform and perfect their ability in pre-trip inspection techniques, and maneuvering a commercial vehicle through the required backing maneuvers.
Who Should Attend
Municipal employees who want to obtain a Class B Commercial Driver’s License.
Classes are offered Monday through Friday 7:00 AM to 3:30 PM
or Saturday and Sunday 7:00 AM to 5:30 PM. New programs begin every 2 weeks.
32 Field Road, Somers, CT 06071
1600 Osgood Street, #1570, North Andover, MA 01845
600 Moshassuck Industrial Highway, Pawtucket, RI 02860
Registration is only open to current municipal employees. Municipal employees wishing to obtain their CDL-B license should:
1. Register online (using the "Registration" tab above) and submit payment. The registrant will receive a registration confirmation, including links to a printable invoice OR the UMass pay-by-credit-card site for $1,450 - due directly to the University of Massachusetts. Other costs include $55.00 DOT Physical (Paid to NETTTS); $38.00 Drug Test (Paid to NETTTS); $125.00 Road Test Fee (Paid to NETTTS); and $50 Permit Fee (Paid to the DMV).
2. Once registered, a NETTTS representative will contact the student to set up an initial screening interview to ascertain that there are no barriers to obtaining this license. Typical CDL training barriers include a poor driving record (i.e. DUI) or failing a drug test. The employee should arrive at the interview with a check for $93 made out to NETTTS. The interview, DOT physical, and drug test will take place at the same time, at the agreed upon NETTTS site.
If the participant is NOT eligible for this program after the initial screening interview:
• The $1,450 tuition payment will be refunded
• The $93 DOT physical and drug test is not refundable
3. Once initial interview is passed and tuition is paid in full,the NETTTS representative will schedule the student for the appropriate classes with a timetable agreeable to the employee and supervisor.
4. The student will pay the $50.00 Permit Fee directly to the DMV when they take the permit exam at the DMV.
5. Once the student is ready to take their raod test, the student will pay the $125.00 Road Test Fee to NETTTS who will make the arrangements for the road test.
|Mike||Town of Maynard|
|Nathan||Town of Maynard|
|Jeff||Town of Maynard DPW|
|James||Town of Boylston|
|Catherine||Town of Granville|
|Stephen||Town of Framingham|
|Drew||Town of Medfield|
|Devon||Town of Granville|
|Craig||Town of Maynard|
|Vernon||Town of Orange|
|Robert||Town of Medfield|
|Ed||Town of Wilbraham DPW|
|Nicholas||Town of Somers (CT) DPW|
|Ryan||Town of Shrewsbury|
|John||Town of Medfield|
|Jon||Town of Florida (MA)|
|Joseph||Town of Medfield|
|Todd||Town of Somers (CT) DPW|